[3830] WPX SSB V31VP(@V31DL) SO(A)AB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB V31VP(@V31DL) SO(A)AB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:47:06 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: V31VP
Operator(s): V31VP
Station: V31DL

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) HP
QTH: Belize
Operating Time (hrs): 27

------------
  160:    0
   80:   16
   40:  535
   20: 1302
   15:  695
   10:   26
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This was my third trip down to operate from the fine shack at the Maya Hill
Lodge in Blackman Eddy Belize.  A big thanks go to Andre and Monika for their
hospitality.  When I arrived Thursday night the Station Master Deluxe was
showing an error message.  Fortunately Andre (DL1AS) who was in Germany at the
time did his remote access magic, reprogrammed it while I slept and all was
ready to rock at 0000Z.

And boy did things rock!  I started a terrific 450 QSO 2-1/2 run on 20m that
just wouldn't quit including 218 QSOs in the first hour!  Being able to sit
here at an optimum standoff range from the rest of North America does have its
advantages (along with a rare prefix).

As many have noted, this was largely a 20m and 40m affair, although 15m played
here better than most places I think, as the great 15m run I had on Sunday
afternoon will attest.

Although I ran assisted, most of the time I was able to just run.  However,
when the runs dried up and/or my poor brain was sufficiently fried that I
wanted a little slower pace I shifted to happily clicking on the nice red spots
in N1MM+ to add to the mult total and make other folks happy by having the mult
come to them.  I even worked a few South Americans on 10m solely by search and
pounce mainly to help out the guys down there who bravely may have entered the
SOSB10 category in the current crummy conditions.

Thanks to the US guys who stood by while I called for Europe or JA during the
relatively narrower propagation windows for them.  Later, one discontented soul
told me in the midst of my 15m run to the US Sunday afternoon that he would not
work me because I wouldn't work USA guys on 20m for a while on Saturday (I only
asked exclusively for EU for a time).  He didn't volunteer a callsign, but
hopefully my explanation about limited propagation windows provided a
"teachable moment".  He made his point, I made mine and we both left
it at that.

I used K3IT's QSOrder program for the first time in a contest, not that I
expect to score high enough to need to submit recordings, but just to get
familiar with it and later post them on the internet so that people can hear
how they sounded down in Belize.  Most, but unfortunately not all QSO's got
recorded, due to either a technical problem or human error on my part.  After I
get the recordings posted to the internet I'll put a blurb on the V31VP QRZ.com
page with instructions on how to listen (I have to figure this out myself
first!)

Thanks to the contest sponsors for promoting and organizing these great
contests .  I would also be remiss if I didn't also express my appreciation to
the N1MM+ team of volunteer software developers for the fantastic work they do.
 Their efforts in what can only be a labor of love have revolutionized
contesting.

73, Victor V31VP (WB0TEV)