[3830] NA Sprint SSB K5WA HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB K5WA HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 04:30:54 +0000
NA Sprint SSB Contest - April

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   80       3
   40:  122      24
   20:   71      25
---------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I believe that was my first SSB Sprint...at least in a REALLY long time.  W9RE
sent me an email telling me to join the fun so since I was at the station
getting antennas ready for a "crane day" next week, I thought I'd
give it a shot.  My high KLM 40 (which we are pulling down and replacing with
an M2 linear loaded 40) actually seemed to work today.  I don't know why but
that was a pleasant surprise. It allowed me to have 2 directions on 40 which
seemed to help.  80 was very noisy and I missed several callers because I just
couldn't pull them out even with the 4SQR pointing at them.

Mults heard but not worked were NE, OK and I think I heard VE9AA but I only got
the AA so that may be wishful thinking.  Lucked into HH2 calling as my last
QSO.

Conditions were really bad on 20.  I was only hearing one side of most QSOs.
West coast was loud but East coast was non-existent.

This sure is very different from CW Sprint.  I had 150 band changes on CW but
only 6 on SSB.  Interesting.  Glad to see so many folks jumping into contesting
and giving it a shot.

Thanks for the Qs.

73,
Bob K5WA