[3830] WPX CW W0RIC(W4IX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, w0ric.ham@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W0RIC(W4IX) SOAB HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 23:32:25 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W0RIC
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W0RIC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:
   80:   40
   40:  691
   20: 1043
   15:   16
   10:   10
------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

First I would like to thank Rick & Kim for letting me play radio for the
weekend, they are excellent host's...The station was flawless, thanks Rick!!
This was my first WPX from the West Coast, little different from the East
Coast. The forecast called for a solar disturbance so I knew it was going to be
difficult. Started the contest on 20 as there were some Europeans coming through
with lots of flutter...after a few hours I went to 40 and it was very noisy,
only a handful of Europeans so I swept the band and returned to 20 where Asia
replaced Europe...then went to 40 later and had fantastic Asian run...I didn't
bother with 80 or 160 due to high noise levels...after the sun rose I decided
to take the next 5 hours off since there were no Europeans on 20 and 15 was
dead (We only had an Inv. V on 15M due to antenna issues) Came back at 2300Z
and ran 20M for a bit until 40 opened and ran 40 for 3 hours before going back
to 20. Only a few European ere heard on 40 due to the solar disturbance ( K was
7!! ). started running on 20 and had a fantastic Asia run for the next 4 hours.
Returned to 40 at 0730Z and had a fantastic Asia run until 1150Z when I decided
to check 80M. I didn't think anything was going to be on due to the disturbance
but when I heard a loud JA3YBK, I quickly tuned the amp and switched to the
single vertical and he was in the log along with NH0J...I found a quiet freq.
and ran a little, working 10 JA's and 2 DU's...Nice!! went back to 40M for an
hour and had a mix of stateside and Asians..( Signals were skew path around 210
deg ). Ran mostly stateside since there were no Europeans until 1600Z and took
more off time. Worked my last hour from 2200Z to 2300Z mostly stateside with a
few Europeans. Overall it was ok but the lack of Europeans made it a North
American contest until Asia showed up. Thanks again for having me Rick....and
thanks to everyone for the Q's.