[3830] WPX CW KH6BE SOAB QRP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KH6BE SOAB QRP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 01:20:25 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KH6BE
Operator(s): KH6BE
Station: KH6BE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Honolulu, HI
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  15
   20:  44
   15:  30
   10:   2
------------

Club:

Comments:

Elecraft KX3 5W
Buddipole vertically-oriented dipole - 20, 15, 10
Balcony mounted Buddistick - 40

As usual, I operated most of the contest portable from a local beachfront park.
The first hour on 15 meters was my best. When my rate slipped about 0130Z, I
switched to 20. Things weren't very good there until around 0500, when I had 2
very good hours before shutting down around 0715Z.

In the middle of the night, I hooked the radio up to my very inefficient 40
meter Buddistick that I use for JT-mode QSO's, and spotted the stations I heard
to help the other HI ops. I decided to try to call some of the strongest west
coast stations, and was surprised when some of them actually replied. Those 90
minutes gave me some valuable 40m points/mults.

I returned to the park at 2230Z, and eeked out a few more 15 meter contacts,
but the band was beginning to sound warbly. I jumped over to 10 meters around
2315Z, heard a few JA's and was able to make 2 contacts there.

Back on 15, I could hear some of the big Caribbean stations quite well, but
none of them heard me. After only 2 more west coast contacts, I moved to 20,
and had very little luck there. It was about then that I saw that the latest
K-index report was 6. I realized that the geomagnetic storm was the reason for
the bad outing, and I knew it was going to be fruitless to continue with my
tiny QRP/omnidirectional antenna arrangement.

Despite the frustrations, I really enjoy testing the capabilities of low power
and simple antennas here in the mid-Pacific. And since I already have other
commitments in late June, it was kind of my early Field Day.

73 de Bob KH6BE