[3830] WPX CW WS7L SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WS7L SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 19:48:19 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WS7L
Operator(s): WS7L
Station: WS7L

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

------------
  160:    3
   80:   45
   40:  147
   20:  644
   15:  187
   10:   18
------------
Total: 1044  Prefixes = 478  Total Score = 877,130

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

On the whole I found this a fantastic test given our solar doldrums. I knew it
would be great when I sent my first CQ on 20 and the second station who
answered was 4X7R. I had set a goal to work at least 1000 Q's, and once I
started handing out four digit serial numbers I kept a big smile on my face for
the remaining hour or so.

I planned to take a big break the first night and work most of the second but I
wonder if the low bands might have been better before the storm hit. High band
conditions the first half were fantastic, working stations in EU and central
Asia until 0600z with beautiful clear signals instead of the usual fluttery
auroral stuff we get here in the northwest. 20 meters to EU was open again
Saturday morning but with the normal serial-number-clobbering distortion. Then
EU was dead on Sunday apart from OF8WW in the early afternoon. Don't know what
it is about Finland but they seem to have a pipeline to the Pacific NW. Only a
few EU were worked on 15 meters, but working ANY is a minor miracle at this
point in the solar cycle.

Strangely, I worked rather few zone 14 stations except a bunch of DLs. My only
UK entity was MD2C and I got only one each in France and Portugal, and four in
Spain.

Rates were good for the most part with no real doldrums where I found myself
struggling to work 10 or 15 per hour. Peak rates of 150 or so in the runs and
best hour was about 70. (I swear I'm gonna get a 100 QSO hour some time.)

NA6O gets the six-band award but I only worked three on 160. As I had suspected
by their omnipresent loudness, that was N6RO. Must have retired the NR6O call
sign.

And I hope WP3C enjoys the N.I.L penalty that he'll be getting. I worked him
but must have fumbled my keyboard because it didn't get into my log. When I
went back later he sent "DUP". So I sent "NIL" and he
repeated "DUP". I didn't insist further. He could have logged me
again in the time that took but he wanted the penalty instead.

K-line, DB-18 for 10-40, HF-2V for 80, homebrew "T" vertical for
160.
73 and thanks for the Q's -- Carl