[3830] WPX CW AB1J SO(A)SB80(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AB1J SO(A)SB80(TS) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 00:36:16 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO(A)SB80(TS) LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 9

------------
  160:
   80:  115
   40:   48
   20:   54
   15:   30
   10:   24
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had a dim bulb idea of trying for a new 10m New England low power Assisted
record in spite of the few and far between sunspots. Conditions were good on
10m the weekend before the contest and I tracked them daily throughout the week
on JT65, uploading my spots all day long to PSKReporter and downloading an .adif
every 24 hours to see what I got. Worked some guys along the way.

Things went downhill all week, so I could see the writing on the wall. I tried
anyway, but to no avail. Activity did pick up a bit Sunday afternoon as
pickings got slim on the other bands, but with prefixes counting only once
there's little incentive to scrape the bottom of the barrel on a mostly dead
band.  I was counting on a batch of LUs but worked zip.

Some folks down south, like KN4Y, did well on 10m, but I didn't.

I ranged over the bands but decided to submit for 80m even though I threw away
much of Friday night on 80m in hopes for 10m the next day.  On Saturday night
there was a huge storm in the Mid-west. I watched it on the real-time lightning
map at

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=30

It was a wonder to behold. It plus a solar storm wrecked 80m that evening.
Everyone was challenged. Did the hot shots slow down for the poor conditions?
Some did. Most didn't. Repeats galore:

"That's negatory, Red Rider. This is Cottonmouth, gimme a repeat on that
last bit, good buddy."

In any case, thanks for digging out my signal and your patience with all the
repeats. I had fun in spite of everything. I'm not sure what that says about my
psychology. Some kind of sick puppy?

See you down the road and around the bend.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500 (now obsolete)
N1MM Loggger+