[3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 17:56:40 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  23     13  Total Score = 325

Club:

Comments:

Portable QRP operation on Sunday from Holt Hill in Andover, Mass. Elevation
420'.

Weather was hot (92F) and sunny with a strong breeze, sometimes gusty.

Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND @ 5 Watts
- 1/2 wavelength 6m aluminum dipole, homemade
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna

Nearly a repeat of last June's VHF contest: A short hike and picnic on the
hilltop with the YL as she read her books. Excellent Sunday afternoon 6m
enhancement.

Equipment operated well and as designed. Strong gusts toppled my antenna once
during a QSO. The 12V 9Ah sealed gel battery kept going all afternoon. I
brought a fully charged spare and didn't need it.

The Sunday late afternoon enhancement was outstanding with good 6m exchanges
with FL, GA, TN, and SC areas. DX lasted from 2040 through 2330. It felt like I
was having a great afternoon but I didn't beat June 2016 in QSOs or scoring.
Good local contacts with regulars but most effort spent on DX.

Station photos here: http://shawsheen.com/2017/arrljunevhf/

73 Alexander N1PRW