[3830] All Asian CW K8IA SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bobk8ia@aol.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW K8IA SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 22:31:34 +0000

HL - 11
HS - 7
JA - 442
JT - 1
UA9 - 11
VR - 1
-------------
Total  - 492

I am back doing a SO40 in AACW after a seven year layoff from that entry
category. An unusual propagation and local noise cndx weekend, prompting me at
no time to think I would have a score near 500 qso's. I had 309 q's the first
night and 183 the second night.

SFI/SSN was in the 75/28 range the entire contest with A-index between 15 and
28 most of the weekend. K ranged from 2 to 5. Lot's of absorption and QSB.
Solar Winds ranged from 344 to 570.

For a short while on this first night, QSB was so rapid that sent consecutively
sent cw characters were varying by over 10 dB. Not a steady diet of copying fun,
for sure. That was so unusual to me that I thought maybe something had worked
loose on the 40m beam and was causing the QSB. But, no, as it was prevalent on
other antennas switched to listen on. Very strange. Fortunately,it went away
after 10-15 minutes and left me with the usual QSB, hi.

But cndx eased off on both nights and some short, but productive, runs were to
be had. But, unusually, the best Run hours were a hour or two later than I
normally experience here to JA.  Band noise varied from a debilitating S5 to a
wonderful S0 making Runs possible, and the lesser equipped Asian stations
easily were logged.

All in all, this wasn't my best qso year, but with the decent 131 multiplier it
was my best scoring year in a AA CW. One noticeable highlight was 5 HS stations
worked the first night, and 7 total, about twice what I usually do on 40m.
Great to see enthusiastic activity from there again.

Another noticeable fact is how old the contesting population is getting. Take
away the above 65 yo competitors, and none have us have much to work. Sad to
see and I have no brilliant solution.

The "station two" here at the K8IA/N7RQ/N7AT Arizona Outlaw Hideout
was in play this time. During or N7AT M/2 action, that station never gets any
time on 40m, so this was a great opportunity rectify that oversight. Since
we're still in the market for Sandy's (N7RQ} new equipment we were lucky to get
some loaner gear from a couple of N7AT Outlaw ops, since last CQWW CW. In play
"at station two" is a K3 (Tnx Outlaw Dave K2SS. Love that newer 200
Hz 6-pole filter!) and a AL-1500 (Tnx Outlaw Lou K1YR). Antenna is my 15 yr old
M-Squared 40M3L at only 71'. Everything worked great!

Thirteen hours of ups and downs, but I can't wait until next years AACW. Tnx to
JARL for continuing to sponsor a great event.

73, Bob K8IA