[3830] ARRL FD AB1J 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AB1J 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 21:58:54 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  243     16     76  Total Score = 1,120

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I didn't plan to spend much time in Field Day, but it turned out I had a lot of
time available resting up between outside lawn and garden activities.  FD is
where I learned a lot about contesting  with the Goshen (IN) ARC, K9TSM, back
in the early 1960s. As a non-contest ;-)) it's a good place to study up. I'm a
night owl so my specialty was the 80m CW overnight. Watching the sun come up
after a good night's stand on 80m was very satisfying.

I had my greatest number of QSOs on 80m CW this year, but I didn't stay up all
night. That's not in my playbook any more for FD. For some contests, yes, but
I'm not a kid now and have to allocate my personal resources carefully.

In the 1960s, all portable stations had to sign portable. Also, a real RST was
sent, not an automatic 599. I made log sheets (paper) which had columns to
check off the RST, four slots 569-599 plus a wild card column, to save time. I
just wrote a slash after the call without the number to indicate portable
unless the call area was different, which was seldom. I can't remember what I
did for dupe control, if anything. Maybe the regular thing, sheets taped to the
operating desk. Generally I didn't have a logging assistant on those overnight
runs so I managed by myself.

Everything went slowly back in the day, making it easy to learn. And FD was a
nice social activity, with a lot of camaraderie.

Sorry to say, I haven't been on a FD out in the field since 1981.

The good news was working K3JT in WV on 10m CW to finish that band for my
5BWAS.  I still need Alaska on 40m to get the award.

The bad news was the number of SSB stations that got my call as AB1Q.  I gave
up years ago using Juliet because of this and now always use Japan and try to
say it slowly and clearly, but it surprises me how many folks still get it as
Quebec. Apparently I can't enunciate properly, or something. Maybe it's my
Hoosier accent. It was worse than ever in this FD, so I soon gave up and went
back to CW and RTTY.

At least no one got me as A61J on CW.

Thanks for all the fun.
73,