[3830] IARU DP6M(K5WA) SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5wa@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] IARU DP6M(K5WA) SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 13:07:21 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: DP6M
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: DP6M

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: Borkheide, DL
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:   24      7      3       18
   80:   73     23      8       27
   40:  210     31     11       35
   20:  333     97     24       34
   15:   72     11      9       15
   10:   16      8      4        6
-------------------------------------
Total:  750    153     59      135  Total Score = 448,722

Club:

Comments:

I probably was a little ambitious in planning to drag an entire SO2R station
from Texas to Germany as well as erecting a Spiderbeam/10m mast/rotator
graciously lent to me by Rick Westerman, DJ0IP, because this was like a one man
Field Day/mini DXpedition to get assembled while still getting in a full
vacation in with my wife since it just happens to be our anniversary.
Originally, I was going to skip 160 since it won't be part of WRTC2018 but
there was an extra piece of rotor cable in the boxes Rick sent so I fashioned a
last minute 160 antenna.  It was terribly constructed but got me a few contacts
on top band.  The bad news was, there was so much RF in the shack that it
locked up my computer and I thought I had blown the pair of SDR radios I used
for panadapters but after 30 terrifying minutes, I got everything running
again.  I moved the antenna coax about 5 feet from all other wires and it
worked OK even though it sounded like a spark transmitter in my headphones (not
sure Bose ever imagined that possibility).

I really stumbled badly out of the gate and never got rolling very well however
my goal was mainly to bring back propagation intel so missing some Qs didn't
hurt.  I thought conditions were pretty stinky but that may just be operator
failures. The only 5s in 5-land heard were N5DX, K5TU and WX0B.  Unfortunately,
WX0B couldn't hear me calling him so I was really weak. Still, it was fun and I
learned a lot.  I just hope the baseband recordings I got from each rig
survived the RF meltdown.  ;-)

A HUGE DANKE to Rick, DJ0IP, for all the Spiderbeam equipment and support.  I
really like the Spiderbeam antenna!  Mega Dankes to Andy, DL3YM and Win, DK9IP,
for arranging the DP6M call for me.  German hospitality make Texas hospitality
look like it is going backwards!  (I hope I got the calls right since I'm
darned sleepy while writing this.)

Now I can get back to my anniversary trip in Germany.  My wife is sure glad
IARU is over for this year.  ;-)

73,

Bob K5WA