[3830] IARU HC2AO SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU HC2AO SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 01:37:48 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: HC2AO
Operator(s): HC2AO
Station: HC2AO

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: ei97nt
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  125            28      15
   20:  452            29      23
   15:   43             9       7
   10:
-------------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Hello brethren,
I had to change my QTH and that was my first major contest effort from a new
one. The only radio I have for the moment produces only 12 watts tops with an
average of 10 watts. My first thought was to try real QRP lowering the output
to 5 watts but knowing that I would eventually get frustrated and crank up the
power to 10 watts I decided not to go real QRP and use what is available thus
entering the LOW POWER realm. So, the station was IC718 with no filters and 10
watts output, a rusty Bencher paddle, and for antennas there were a sloping
dipole for 20 and 33ft vertical with 2 radials for 40 and 15.
 The goal was to make 250 QSOs and carry on with things besides ham radio.
However, conditions seemed to be good and productive, so 400 Q’s mark was
reached easily after 6 hours into the event. 50/50 run/S&P. No assistance.
All in all I invested 13 hours into the contest and finished with 610 QSOs
total.
Remarks.  My local topography blocks South Pacific, so no qso’s with VK or
ZL, though ZL2AGY and ZL1IF (sic) were heard on 40. Heard but not worked
�" CN3AA, AT10HQ.  A lot of strong signals on 40 and 20.  15 meters was
not as good as expected but mainly due to the lack of a proper aerial. 20 was
the money band open at all times to EU NA. 40 was mediocre. Unexpected: booming
EU, JA, NA, KH6 at 0700 UTC (2 AM local) on 20m but not luck with CQ.
A few surprising QSOs �" DX0HQ answering my CQ on 20, breaking through US
pileup to Jas on 40m, torturing to death but squeezing a QSO with R0HQ on 40,
W7YAQ QRP on 20 made my day… To my surprise, although it was hard to find a
suitable frequency, I managed to have long runs on 20 and 40, only once having
been forced to abandon my QRG.
All said, I only add that 10 watts is plenty of power. Thanks to all for
calling and hearing. Sorry to K5GN and W1KM for not moving to 80 �" no
antenna, folks.
73 Alex
HC2AO
P.S. Reports on my signals strength and any comments are welcome to my e-mail:
UA4WAE@MAIL.RU