[3830] ARRL June VHF NC5AX Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk5wa@rocketmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF NC5AX Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:10:36 +0000

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  131    63  Total Score = 9,954

Club:

Comments:

First "full-on" roving attempt.
Did a lot of GIS pre-planning for optimal locations in each grid. Planned on 11
grids, made 9.
IC-7100 was primary xcvr with an FT-857D as backup. Had a W5ZN loaner ICOM
220Mhz rig for 1.25.
2m and 6m halos for mobile. 6m halo, and 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm beams for
operations when stopped.

7100 crapped out at our first stop (EM46). Put the 857 to use and managed to
make our contacts from EM36 and EM35. Ticks, chiggers, and snakes were the
order of the day Saturday.

Originally were going to rove all night, but had to return back to the QTH to
work on some issues. IC-7100 was fixed at about 0130 Sunday, and we rolled back
out later Sunday morning to get EM33. From there to 43, 42, and back north to
34, 44, and 45. The 6m opening Sunday afternoon coming through 3 grids on
highway 65 in SE Arkansas doubled our score.

Thanks to W5ZN, W5RZ, W5VY, AG4V, and all the others for the help and
encouragement. Thanks to our local clubs STARS and NCAARS for the simplex
contacts. Plans are already being made for January.

KK5WA and AF5WN