[3830] NAQP RTTY WQ6X(@NX6T) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ron@wq6x.info
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY WQ6X(@NX6T) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 01:02:20 +0000
North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: WQ6X
Operator(s): WQ6X
Station: NX6T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Fallbrook, Ca
Operating Time (hrs): 9.3
Remote Operation

   80:   16     6
   40:  167    43
   20:  208    52
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  391   101  Total Score = 39,491

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

This was another last minute WQ6X remote operation from NX6T
("NashVille")
in Fallbrook, Ca. from a "Secret" location in the SF bay area.

My original idea was to work the DMC RTTY contest leading up to the NAQP RTTY
GiG and then finish the DMC GiG after NAQP.  The 1st objective was clearly
met.
However after the NAQP RTTY GiG I was so exhausted I just went to bed.

WQ6X ran a K3-radio at 4-watts in order to drive an ACOM-2000a amplifier to
a perfect 100 watt level (qualifying as an LP operation) into a C-31 Yagi
for 20, a 2-element yagi for 40 and a droopy Inverted Vee for 80.
Similar to the DMC Gig, 20 meters was THE band for this NAQP operation,
with EXCELLENT band conditions, with 40-meters almost as good.

For me, the most difficult part of single-OP NAQP is deciding which 2 hour
segment to sacrifice.  Unlike previous NAQP GiGs, I decided to gopherit right
from the 18:00z start.  That turned out to be a good choice as a computer
failure occurred at 23:45z.  I wasn't back on the air on 01:35 on 40-meters.
Unfortunately, I missed out on whatever opening existed on 15-meters.

To make listening easier I ran the laptop audio through a classic Autek
Research QF-1A audio filter.  This was WAY MORE effective than the DSP-NR
circuits in the K3.

As I was running remote, I found it easier to RUN frequencies than S&P
(no use of spotting assistance is allowed in NAQP).  Because I have yet
to figure out how to invoke the radio's R.I.T. function remotely I used
SPLIT mode and tuned VFO-A for stations that were way off frequency;
which turned out to be RARE for this contest event.

Band conditions were quite good with VERY LOW A&K Indices, altho I noticed
a rapid signal flutter on many 40-meter signals which would DIP the signal
below the MMTY demodulation capability.  This is yet ANOTHER REASON to ONLY
repeat information asked for, not the ENTIRE exchange.

Luckily, the CME which took out the entire HF spectrum was not
encountered until well AFTER contest end.  Usually CME's blast us on
Saturday evening and Sunday morning.  Luckily the NAQP Gawds saved us here.

You can read the write up on this event at WQ6X.Blogspot.Com

 Ron
 WQ6X