[3830] CQWW VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 18:33:42 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: KK6MC/R
Operator(s): KK6MC
Station: KK6MC/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 12

    6:  142   102
    2:   56    20
-------------------
Total:  198   122  Total Score = 24,156

Club: New Mexico VHF Society

Comments:

Rig is TS-2000 to a PAR Stressed Moxon on 6M and an 8ft W7QQ Yagi on 2M with
half of the last director missing.

I had a good rove. It was one of the only VHF contests I can remember in which
I had Es in each grid I operated.

Especially nice was working several long haul 2M QSOes with NM stations which
is often rare in NM VHF Contests. In general NM activity was good, in part due
to the formation of the NM VHF Society and in part due to the new FT8 mode.

I had some problems, the Winkeyer intrerface to the computer was wonky,
resulting in me having to restart the computer several times during the
contest. I need to work that out. The serial to USB converter did not work at
all for the rig so I had to note manually which QSOes I made on two. This is
all probably a result of upgrading to a new operating system version and
upgrading the logging program and not checking to be sure that everything
worked OK. Lesson learned.

The Es openings, with a few exceptions, were good, but not intense. I spent
most of the time on CW. There was some double hop on Saturday night and I
managed to work some of that. I pulled the plug in DM65 at 900PM local while
the band was still open a bit. But, I had to get up early the next day, so the
tradeoff was worth it.

Saturday was a nice rove, without too much travel going from DM64 to 74 to 75
to 65. Sunday was a different matter, I traveled to DM64 in Socorro, then to
DM63 just north of White Sands, and then to DM73 at the Valley of the Fires,
west of Carizozo. That worked out well, but it is a 2.5 hour trip back home
after finishing up in DM73, which is a bit daunting after a day of operating.

I really like the CQ WW VHF contest. It only has two bands, so setting up the
rover is not too bad and with only two bands to manage, it is a lot easier to
be on top of everything. It looks like I will have to incorporate FT8 in the
rover, as there were probably lots of QSOes to be had there that I missed.

Special thanks to all those who QSYed to 2M with me when they had a run going
on 6M. That helps more than you know and I appreciate you giving up a few QSOes
on 6M for a QSO with me on 2M. Score wise, I know it is a lot more valuable to
me that to you so double thanks. I think I did a lot better job of QSYing
people from 6 to 2 and 2 to 6 without leaving anyone behind this contest.