[3830] SEQP KU8E SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SEQP KU8E SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:27:23 +0000
Solar Eclipse QSO Party

Call: KU8E
Operator(s): KU8E
Station: KU8E

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: EM72op
Operating Time (hrs): 1:30

  160:
   80:
   40:   27                    24
   20:   10                    10
   15:    9                     7
   10:
    6:
-----------------------------------
Total:   46     0       0      41  Total Score = 3,772

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I didn't treat this as a contest rate fest but a propagation experiment. Most of
my operating was about an hour or so before maximum sun cover at my QTH. Spent
time calling CQ on some dead bands to see if propagation was enhanced in any
way. Tried 6 meters but nothing there. 10 meters was open to W9 (spotted by a
RBN) from here in GA but no one was on. On 15 meters worked some east coast, W9
and K6LA in CA. This was probably just plain E-skip. Didn't really spend much
time on 20 meters since I didn't really expect anything unusual there. Only
strange thing I noticed when I worked K4BAI on 20 CW, who is about 15 miles
away from me, he had some pronounced AU flutter on his signal. Same when I
worked him on 40 CW.

The band I really noticed that had some different propagation was 40 meters. I
was spotted on the RBN's with good signal reports from the west coast starting
an hour before the peak at my QTH. (92% on sun covered) Worked W0A/7, KJ9C/7
and W6UM. W0UA also had a nice signal from CO. Furthest away I heard on 40
meters was W7QC, in WA, but he couldn't hear me calling him.

Unfortunately I had to quit about 10 minutes before the maximum coverage at my
QTH (1837z) to pickup my son at school. Did some AM DXing on the way and heard
WLW in Cincinnati, which is about 600 miles from me. I wouldn't normally hear
them at 2:30 PM local time.

Jeff KU8E