[3830] SEQP W6YX(N7MH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SEQP W6YX(N7MH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:47:07 +0000
Solar Eclipse QSO Party

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 5:00

  160:
   80:
   40:   28                    22
   20:  181                   113
   15:    8                     8
   10:
    6:
-----------------------------------
Total:  217     0       0     143  Total Score = 62,162

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I operated from 1600 to 2100. As others have mentioned there was not much of an
effect from the eclipse on 20 (or 15) that I could tell.

The rate was deliberately slow because I wanted to get a good S-meter reading
before sending my exchange. I often came back with a ? or partial callsign to
the initial call, even though I'd copied a full callsign, just so I could check
the S-meter. Often with a pileup calling I'd see that the callsign I picked out
was only S6 when the pileup had been S9.

On 40 there were noticeable propagation enhancements from the eclipse. I had
the M2 Yagi beaming around 70 degrees the entire time. I was able to work some
familiar calls such as AA3B, K4BAI and K1LT when the area of totality had swung
slightly to our east, around 1745.

Between 1825 and 1845, when the area of totality was further east, I started
getting spotted on 40 by RBN nodes in New England (K1TTT, KM3T, W2AXR, W2LB)
and worked K2LNS in FN21.

I got lured back to 20 because there were many more stations to work there. My
later excursions to 40 didn't get picked up by any eastern RBN nodes. I heard
N8PW on 40 weakly until I went QRT but never worked him, even earlier when he
had been S6 to 7.

I never got to 80 because I assumed we were too far from the path of totality
to  get much enhancement there. SO2R was a no-go when I realized the S-meter
reading and frequent fills made it overly complex. I should have spent more
time on 40.

Dave, AA6XV, was also at the shack and had brought a couple pairs of eclipse
glasses and a solar telescope. I took a few short breaks to get a first-hand
view with the glasses and telescope.

73,
-Mike, N7MH