[3830] NAQP SSB K3CCR M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3CCR M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 01:57:23 +0000
North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 7.3

  160:
   80:  107    23
   40:  256    41
   20:   99    31
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  462    95  Total Score = 43,890

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. N3UM and
W3GB were on for NAQP SSB, M/2.

We were eager to see if our new JK Falcon 20/40 m. beam would do
well on SSB as it had in NAQP CW.  Answer: yes, especially on 40 m.
We got quick replies and good reports running and tuning, and
256 Qs on 40 SSB vs 255 on 40 CW 2 weeks ago.

We also did OK on 20 m, 99 QSOs.  But, that was 25 fewer Qs on
SSB than we got on CW 2 weeks ago, mostly because on SSB we quit
20 earlier to go to 80.  That paid off: we got 107 SSB Qs, 70
more than we got on CW 2 weeks before in much less time.

Despite our higher QSO total on SSB, 462 vs 418 on CW, we
claimed only 44K points in SSB vs 52K in CW, because we got
23 fewer state and VE mults on SSB than on CW, the shortfall
shared evenly among the 3 bands. This may be partly because
the better weak-signal performance of CW got more states with
marginal propagation. But it seems clear that the main reason
was that plentiful skimmer spots on CW found far more mults for
us than the sparse and uneven spotting of SSB signals.

On all bands we worked 44 states and DC, missing AK, AR, ND, OR, RI,
and SD. Got 5 VE provinces, but no NA countries besides W/K and VE.