[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W9RM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9rm@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W9RM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:30:38 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  85     68  Total Score = 5,780

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Since I only have 6 & 2 available right now, I don't get too excited about
contests with little to no chance of sporadic E on 6M.  So, I got on with the
intention of helping as many regional guys as possible with a new multiplier.
I'm pretty much the only opportunity to log DM58 and there are very few ops on
VHF out here.

Most pre-contest goals were met and I even snagged a all-time new grid on 6M,
thanks to KK6MC/R.  There was a healthy up-tick in meteor-scatter activity over
the summer contests.  Meteors were average to slightly above and most runs put a
QSO in the log.

There was no other propagation noticed on 6M.  The vaunted and highly hyped FT8
mode on 6M was a non-starter.  There was NO sporadic-E and no amount of digi
horsepower and black-magic algorithms were going to change that fact.  I did
listen to the official FT8 6M 'channel' a couple of time and heard only meteor
pings.  I had to laugh to myself, thinking that these guys could be making QSOs
using meteor-scatter modes instead of spinning their electric meters for no
reason.  Note to all readers - FT8 is a great mode when conditions are RIGHT
for it, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the ONLY 6M mode.  When the band
is open, you can still run contest stations 5X faster on SSB.  And, LOCAL
contacts on 6M FT8 ?  Geez people - get a clue.....