[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3SO Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3idt@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W3SO Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 20:18:12 +0000
ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: W3SO
Operator(s): W3BC W3BTX W3SF W3YOZ W3XOX WA3TTS WR3Z W3IDT
Station: W3SO

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: WPA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

    6:  148    36
    2:  201    52
  222:   83    35
  432:  106    39
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  538   162  Total Score = 117,774

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We knew it was going to happen, sooner or later.
What is "it"? Look at the summary of our results...

(Use a fixed font such as 'courier new')

     QSOs  GRIDs
 50   148    36
144   201    52
222    83    35
432   106    39
---------------
Total 538   162   Score 117,774

WOW! 432 has more grids than 50,
and 220 has only one fewer than 50!

50: The band absolutely s*cked!
Our noise level was, as usual, very high.
One theory of why our noise level is so high,
and has gotten worse the past number of years,
is that the radio/tv/government/private services
with which we share our mountaintop have switched
from quiet tube amps to noisy solid-state amps.

We did try digital (FT8) for the first time using a
separate, stand-alone laptop, radio, and interfaces.
The coax from the antenna switch was manually changed
from the SSB/CW station to the FT8 one and the SSB/CW
radio shut down (and the reverse going from FT8 to SSB/CW).
We did lose a few rover passes with this manual switch-over.

FT8 seems important enough to integrate the technology
with our existing radio / amp / networked logging system.

144: As usual, except when there is a serous 6 meter Eskip
opening, 2 meters is our QSO and GRID leader. Most of the
weekend was "routine", but late Sunday evening there was a
very nice tropo opening to the west and upper midwest
(mostly 9s in IL and WI).

220/432: Well, the grid total statement above says it all!
These bands have been our perennial point generators,
and certainly were so this contest.

For the Wopsononock Mountaintop Operator team
(w3bc, w3btx, w3sf, w3yoz, w3xox, wa3tts, wr3z, w3idt)

Bob, w3idt