[3830] WAE SSB JG1VGX(@JG1ZUY) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jg1vgx@jarl.com
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB JG1VGX(@JG1ZUY) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 18:06:48 +0000
WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: JG1VGX
Operator(s): JG1VGX
Station: JG1ZUY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Kimitsu, Chiba
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:    0     0   0 x4
   40:   80    66  20 x3
   20:  337   342  38 x2
   15:    9     8   5 x2
   10:    0     0   0 x2
-------------------------
Total:  426   416    146  Total Score = 122,932

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

Power: legitimate 1kW PEP

Band/day breakdown:
-------------------------
      Day 1  Day 2  Total
-------------------------
80:      0      0      0
40:     39     41     80
20:     94    248    342
15:      9      0      9
10:      0      0      0
-------------------------
Total  142    289    431
OpHrs   11.5   12.5   24
-------------------------

This was my serious phone effort first time in a while. I felt like I have
forgotten all of the tricks for this mode and I have releant them along the
way.

Skimmer has changed strategy significantly in CW and RTTY contests but it still
stay the same old-school way in SSB contests. To get decent runs one has to be
spotted. To get spotted, one has to sound big in the band.

So how to raise my presence on the band? Audio optimization is the key.

In this regard, I was too modest in my audio setup for the first day.
Usually manufacturers' recommendation for creating clean SSB signal only
results in an average power of 10~20% of the PEP. This is absolutely correct
but way too modest in contests.

Sounding big and still keeping signal clean is a difficult task but something
one has to learn for the best results. Optimising audio using equaliser and
speech processor can double the average power upto 20~40% of the PEP, which
effectively is the same as using the power amplifier of two times the rated
output. Of course if you do too much and not properly, you will get penalised
really badly.

After this thoughts, on the second day I did my audio optimisation aggressively
and that resulted in many more spots and Qs. Yeah!

Ten meters was completely dead both days. Fifteen meters was also dead on the
second day but CR3W working Europeans was consistently heard during prime hours
that was very curious to me. Eighty meters was completely unusable from here on
the first day due to OTH radar perhaps from a nearby nation. On the second day
the band was clear but couldn't make a single QSO due to my antenna
limitation.

See you all in the next contest!
73 rin JG1VGX