[3830] 144FallSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, djholman@u.washington.edu
Subject: [3830] 144FallSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:28:19 +0000
144 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: WW7D/R
Operator(s): WW7D
Station: WW7D

Class: Rover LP
QTH: cn96
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 82  Mults = 23  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 1,886

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

After a rain-free summer, the pacific northwest rains returned for the 2m fall
sprint.  As I pulled out of my driveway, there was a brief downpour followed by
light rain or drizzle for the rest of the night.    I roved the
CN86/CN87/CN96/CN97 grid intersection on gravel roads in the foothills about 15
miles NW of Mt. Rainier.  The good thing about the potholes, suicidal deer,
rain, and patchy thick fog, was that there were few other vehicles to contend
with.  The roads were mine for the evening!

Conditions on 2m were poor, with lots of QSB and weaker-than-usual signals from
some of the regulars at a distance.   To make up for it, there was excellent
activity in the region, and a lot of grids were represented:

Grid  QSOs  Grids worked
CN86   24   CN85-9, CN97
CN87   15   CN86-9, CN97
CN96   27   CN85-9, CN97
CN97   16   CN85-9, CN97

VE7AFZ was the only station heard in CN89; we had a couple of difficult CW QSOs
and a couple of easy QSOs.  Portland was quite weak, but between K0JJ and K7YO,
CN85 was covered.  N7KSI provided my only QSOs into CN86, and WA7BBJ covered
CN97.  About a dozen of the QSOs were FM simplex.

Equipment: FT-857 into an RF Concepts brick for weak signal work and a TYT-9800
for FM.

In motion "front" antennas: 4 element WA5VJB "cheap yagi"
(horizontal), mag mount whip (vertical)

Stationary "rear" antennas (at 25 feet): 8 element "cheap
yagi" (horizontal), 6 element  "cheap yagi" vertical.

A crossover switch allowed me to quickly swap the vertical antennas to the
Yaesu and the horizontal antennas to the FM rig.  This turned out to be
remarkably useful, as there were a number of SSB stations with vertical
antennas.  And it let me use the FT-857+brick to work the weaker FM stations.

Overall...things went well, and it was a lot of good fun.