[3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 00:24:44 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20.0

   80:   14       7       2     2
   40:   58      24       6     7
   20:  107      30      26    21
   15:   69      14      20    16
   10:   11       3       8     7
-----------------------------------
Total:  259      78      62    53  Total Score = 93,991

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Yaesu FT-817, 5 Watts

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

Well, after 28 years of contesting I finally got hit with a catastrophic
failure during a contest. At 05:30 Z into the second day I went to bed and got
up 3 hours later at 2 AM only to find that my super reliable FT-817 had
developed a problem where it transmits about 100 cycles off the tuned
frequency. This happened a year ago and I fixed it by turning the rig off and
then back on.  But not this time. After a few hours of scratching my head I
finally had to give up. So only 20 hours of op time instead of 30+.

The thing that salvaged this contest for me was that I managed to work JT5DX on
20 M finally giving me WAZ on RTTY (QRP). It has taken me several years to get
this last zone, so I was quite delighted with that!

Other good Qs for me were 5T5OK who I found at the top of 20 with no callers.
Also E6AG on 10 and 15 M, and a zone 18 and VR20CC on 20. I also got TF2R which
is a rare zone 40 in a contest for me.

DXCC in this abbreviated contest was only 34 but WAZ was 24 which was the same
as last year's full effort. Only 38% of my Qs were off continent and only 8 Qs
into Europe, all consistent with the bottom of the cycle. I almost never CQ in
DX contests and this was no exception.

So now I have to get this FT-817 repaired.  I use it for all digital work,
...and I was just starting to get good at FT-8 !!

Well, I'll be seeing you in CQ WWDX SSB in a month. I use the K-2 for that and
I've never had problems with that!  .....but that is what I said about the
FT-817 before this misadventure!

73,  Bill  W8QZA - W6QU