[3830] CQ WW RTTY M6W(G3WW) SO(A)SB40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, g3ww.dez@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY M6W(G3WW) SO(A)SB40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:14:54 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: M6W
Operator(s): G3WW
Station: M6W

Class: SO(A)SB40 LP
QTH: IO92
Operating Time (hrs): 19:25

   80:
   40:  459      36      72    23
   20:
   15:
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  459      36      72    23  Total Score = 143,707

Club:

Comments:

Five years since my last RTTY contest and limited preparation time so this was
always going to be a mostly casual effort. Didn't have enough time to get setup
with FSK so had a couple of minor niggles along the way.

Dug out an old TS-480SAT to went barefoot keeping it around the 50-60 Watt
level using my JT65 setup (RIGblaster Nomic) to operate the 480 AFSK-style.

Decided to use RBN assistance which meant spots in the bandmap were always
around 1 kHz off-set from my suppressed carrier frequency. Couldn't point and
shoot the spots from the bandmap as this sent the radio from LSB into FSK mode.
Grrr.

It became more trouble than it was worth having to keep changing modes and
re-tuning needed spots. I soon got into the habit of fine tuning the VFO to dig
out the bandmap spots which I wanted.

Conditions were so-so. Furthest worked west was Nevada and I heard a couple of
UT, TX and CA which all sadly got away. Chile in Zone 12 was a nice surprise.
The far east wasn't impressive, I managed a single a VK and ZL but no JA's were
heard strong enough to even call. 5T was probably a new one on RTTY for me.

I must make an FSK interface as the 480 is a nice little radio and if I can
overcome the 480 mode-changing with the Win-Test bandmap it would be a nice
little setup for future RTTY contests.