[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 15:21:48 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego
Operating Time (hrs): 18.0

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    7     4        4
   40:   14     6        6
   20:   31    15       16
   15:  113    20       43
   10:   33    12       12
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

The most frustrating thing about poor conditions is that I can call a station
that is 20 db over S-9 and they can continue to call CQ in my face.  ...Wow.  I
found several of these stations I the last 10 minutes of the contest which kept
me from hitting 200 Qs!

I have entered 115 major contests in the All-Band category since 1990. I have
had less than 200 Qs in only 7 of them. The last time was 2008 which also
happened to be in the CQ WWDX SSB. I had 191 Qs in that contest. I have to go
back to the 1900's when I was a contest beginner to find other AB DX contests
with less than 200 Qs!

N1MM clocks my op time at 18.0 hours. But that is terribly misleading. For
example, from 14:15 to 16:15 on Sunday AM I was at the rig all the time and
logged NO Qs!  N1MM counts this as "Off time".  I call it incredibly
frustrating time.

I did have several good Qs that made me trip the VOX with a cheer:  B1Z on 15
was the best for me.  It is very difficult for me to work BY in a contest.
Also getting RW0A for zone 18 in one call.

Other good Qs were D4Z, AH0BT, and a TK on 15, and D4C on 20.

The most frustrating was hearing XU7AJA calling blank CQs with a 5-9 sig, but
he just couldn't hear me.

My DXCC was 48 (58 last year) and my WAZ was 24 (23 last year). So while I
covered an even slightly larger area of the globe, I had considerably less
countries.

My European count was up quite a bit from last year, and 12.6% of my Qs were in
Europe compared to only 2% last year. And 75% of my Qs were off-continent,
...not bad for 5 watts.

Anyway, no rig problems and in the end it is always fun!

See you in the second half of the CQ WWDX CW contest.  I will be coming home
from family Thanksgiving on Saturday.

...Bill   W6QU - W8QZA