[3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:05:29 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:   24     7       18
   80:  255    15       52
   40:  648    24       90
   20: 1111    25       86
   15: 1111    27      111
   10:  501    18       39
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Station:
K3 @ 100W, Win-Test Software on Laptop
160m Vertical Dipole and Inverted V,
80m Inverted V and 3el wire beam EU
40m F12 Delta 240 and 4 ele wire beam EU
20/15/10 - F12 C31XR @ F12 C3 @ 60ft
Beverages NE, NW, E/W, N/S

Conditions were much better than many expected but the lingering impacts of a
solar event three days before the CQWW PH were still very evident.  The big
surprise came in the form of 15 meter conditions which at times were terrific
to EU from this location.  Ten meters was also better than should be expected
at this point in the sunspot cycle.  A handful of mostly southern EU were
workable on ten, and a mid-afternoon opening to the US produced memorable rate
the second day.

Upon arrival found only minor problems since my last visit for WPX CW in May.
Had the antenna cables laid out and most problems repaired and operational by
Tuesday evening.

Overall the score is down 8% compared to CQWW PH 2016 and most of is attributed
the continued decline of 10 meters.  Not particularly surprising given the
effects of the solar storm and having no sunspots.  Fortunately it was not as
extreme as last year when it was nearly impossible to work anything in EU above
50 degrees north latitude.  This time all of EU was plentiful but conditions to
JA were very difficult.

First few hours of operating were slow which isn't all that unusual running LP.
 20 meters closed to the US in less than 1/2 hour.  Managed to work many SA and
some OC multipliers on 15 meters in the remainder of the first hour.  Running
LP, starting runs on 40 meters is always difficult but found it is still
possible with patience.  That first cluster spot does the trick.  In retrospect
I did too much S/P during the first night and perhaps in general all weekend.
>From this location under these conditions I should also have placed more
emphasis on running US statons.  Always lessons learned.

Did about 65% S/P the first 12 hours.  I suppose it felt less painful compared
to endless unanswered CQs.  Surprised to see the 160/80/40 multiplier totals
were still fairly close to 2016 after the first night, and half way through
the
contest the QSO count was only about 10% down from 2016.

Conditions here on the second night and into the following morning were
particularly difficult.  Even with the wire beams which produce reliable gain
toward EU, it was extremely difficult to make QSOs.  I even put an external
watt meter in the antenna line to confirm I had power output.  The visual
feedback from the meter was reassuring but didn't produce any additional QSOs.

At 1624Z the second day a local lightning strike took down the AC power grid
for almost 2 hours - during what is normally important run time to EU an US.
Was pleasantly surprised when the power came back on to find 10 meters had a
strong USA opening.  Had a 294 hour on ten which was the best rate of the
weekend.

Late afternoon runs into USA/VE on 10, 15 and 20 were generally the highlight
of the contest.

Enjoyed spending some time with VE3DZ (P40T) earlier this week, and
pre and post contest meals with AE6Y (P49Y) too.  Having the opportunity to
share the contest with others really adds to the overall enjoyment of these
events.

Will return to Aruba again in three weeks for CQWW CW.

73,

John, W2GD