[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA/M SOSB/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA/M SOSB/20 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 20:17:59 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA/M
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): .25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   1     1        1
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:   1     1        1  Total Score = 1

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Radios at home are all unhooked so I decided that every time I had to go to town
this weekend I'd get on from the mobile.  I had a log page ready on the
passengers seat.
Noon Sunday presented an opportunity for me to head down the road.

When I tuned up from 14.105 all I heard was 99% Europeans, and pretty much all
with their mic gain and compressors set to '11'.  Some were well over S9....but
only a few were intelligible however.  Nope, not calling those fellas.

Aha, there is Stan ZF9CW. Nice audio. I'll give him a point. Phooey, my mic
doesn't work in the car.  Must be a broken cable at the rig's body buried under
the dash, hidden from view. It's been a couple yrs since I've done SSB from the
MINI COOPER.

Well, there goes that plan!  Tuned by some more fierce splatter boxes and when
I got to 14150.63 I heard the K3LR team calling CQ for nearly 15mins and the
fellow worked 3 or 4 stations (One was an American).  Not a rate fest to be
sure. They had nice audio too though.

So, to recap, I am NOT sorry (not even a little) I missed this groaner of a
splatterfest. (locals say condx were punk-maybe they were - no idea.)
-AND-
Every year I shake my head more and more thinking that nobody can possibly in
tieir right mind think their audio is good with everything maxxed out, yet the
amount of cr@ppy signals continue to go on and on and on.

Kudos to ZF9CW and K3LR who both sounded perfect to me.  I had the rig's
receive audio piped into the MINIs' 4-speaker stereo system, and had it up
about 3/4 volume and I bet (had it happened), I could've heard a pin drop in
either of their shacks.

dit dit

-Mike, VE9AA in NB......FT-857D, SA-680S, pencil/paper, N3ZN paddles (normally)
+ non working microphone.