[3830] CQWW SSB KD4RH SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garywbader@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KD4RH SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 01:39:40 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KD4RH
Operator(s): KD4RH
Station: KD4RH

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: EM94ne
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  175    24       66
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Random 40 meter notes....

As predictable, most of the 40 meter activity is squeezed between 7125 and
7200. Absolutely brutal!

This year, the US activity above 7200 appeared to be very light. There were
great open slots in which to CQ. It has been difficult in past years to find an
opening. The noise level was very quiet. It was so quiet above 7200 it seemed
like there was no propagation.

There appeared to be fewer EU stations working split. Maybe I missed them. Most
activity was EU-EU. I wish more EU's would opt to working NA split. Most S&P
station are probably off-air 00-06Z sleeping. I did make a good effort to
operate split with my phased verticals. I was hoping to work EU's during local
EU sunrise to work the morning S&P'ers.

CQ'ed several times listening split with no takers. It is confusing that I can
work the big stations without too much difficulty but when CQing it seems that
my signal just evaporates into the ether. I'm not in the 40 meter yagi class so
perhaps my signal does not stand out like the big ops. Quite possible that
stations with low-power, dipoles and verticals are hard to hear stateside.

I was very pleased with new 290' beverage for EU. Really help reducing the
local QRN. It made the signals more readable. Can use one for JA's. AH2R, AH0BT
and JT5DX barely readable. Heard very weak YB's.