[3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP2MDG M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 15:50:16 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP2MDG
Operator(s): K2DM N0SMX
Station: VP2MDG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VP2M
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:  204    10       23
   80:  366    16       56
   40:  331    16       54
   20: 1267    26       84
   15: 1694    29       95
   10:  533    11       21
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This year I was accompanied by a friend and fellow resident of The Villages,
Dennis, N0SMX.  Dennis has always wanted to be on the DX side of a pileup, and
I am getting to where putting in a full single-op effort is a little much, so
this was a perfect win-win for us.  In addition to the contest, we wanted to be
the first ops to give out Montserrat on FT8.
After a LONG day of traveling (3AM to 6PM) we arrived at Gingerbread Hill guest
house on Montserrat.  We immediately hung a 40M dipole (in the dark) so that I
could work a few friends in the late evening CWT, and so we could get going on
FT8.  We made hundreds of contacts on FT8 using Dennis' call, VP2MMX.  Needless
to say, he was VERY popular.
But our primary purpose was the DX contest, so we started erecting the antennas
at sunrise on Thursday.  We got everything ready by Thursday afternoon in time
for me to get a huge ham radio thrill.  My fiancé, Karen, had JUST received
her Technician Class license as KN4GQP, and we were able to make a contact on
10M.  We made another contact during the contest, and of course I worked the
three ZMs, Jeff, Peter and Patrick.  Not to be outdone, Dennis made contacts
with his wife, Sharon, with his Uncle Dan and with his father.  What a hoot!
Speaking of the contest, we had a great time.  Everything worked fine all
weekend except for an intermittent high SWR on the 40M yagi that appeared
Saturday morning.  Every time we thought it resolved itself, it came right
back.  I put the aforementioned 40M dipole back up mid-day Sunday to use on
Sunday evening.
Some of our runs were fantastic.  When 10M opened to the USA Sunday afternoon
it was spectacular for a few hours.  We had contact totals that were near
records for the station on 160M and 80M.  Yes, our multiplier totals are low,
but we didn't set up to really chase multipliers.  I worked a handful on the
mult station, but that was about it.  Dennis had some fine runs and would have
stayed in the chair for hours if I hadn't booted him out so that I could do
some operating.  All in all it was a very satisfying contest effort for us.  I
am certain that we have a lock on winning Montserrat.  And it was special to
have so many old and new friends call us during the contest.  The Villages is
NOT a hotbed of contesters, but we made contacts with a handful of neighbors
who made the effort to get on and look for us.  Thanks to you all!