[3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOABClassic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N8II SOABClassic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 20:25:30 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABClassic LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 21.8

  160:    7     4        3
   80:   25     8       16
   40:   71    15       43
   20:  347    23       86
   15:  484    23       96
   10:  116     9       24
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Time on per rules slightly longer, but less than 24 hours.

The start was a bummer which probably was not that significant, but was feeling
pretty tired. 20 was next to nil to the south at the opening bell; most stations
I could hear south were louder farther west in NA. I could work a few of the
louder JA's and D4, and KH6's were no problem. 40 was overloaded as always, so
I hung it up after 90 minutes and about 50 Q's. After a good night's sleep, I
woke up pretty dazed, and felt still less than into it in a positive way, so
took a  break after only 90 minutes. After that, felt better and things
improved.

Saturday AM both 20 and 15 were in great shape and 15 opened gradually but
early.
Southern EU was already in at 1149Z and by 13Z northern EU was loud as well as
some Russians south of Moscow and the Middle East. Running was slow at best,
mostly S&P was faster and able to work about 70-90/hr at best. S&P is
pretty fun Saturday, but a real bummer on Sunday when most of the runners are
alrready in the log. 20 was almost nil for running Saturday, but Sunday
afternoon I had a nice run high in the band for about 50 minutes thru some
still pretty loud EU QRM. On 15, I found a pretty clear spot to run Sunday, but
the rate was pretty disappointing around 60-70/hr and not for long. Both 15 and
20 were absolutely loaded with EU stations when the band was open at least to
western EU. Most signals were well over S9. 15 closed enough at 1630Z Saturday
that I moved up 10 and then down to 20 which pretty well closed to EU by 20Z.

75M could best be described as poor and 160 impossible at least thru 02Z.
Nothing rare or unusual was worked on those bands. 40 was poorer around 23Z to
EU than 0030Z night two. 10 never seemed to open except south and really was
not open well that direction until Sunday. First zones 7 and 8 Q's were Sunday
afternoon when activity really spiked upward. I was able to work Zones 4 and 5
on backscatter, and at the peak there must have been over 50 stations to the
south in run mode dominated by many CE's, LU's, and PY's. Skip was as short was
the Virgin Is. (nice to hear them after devastation!) and as short as Cuba on
15.

There were many tedious frustrating moments along with a little fun. Thanks for
hearing me a a few for answering my CQ's.

73, Jeff