[3830] CQWW SSB ZM4T(@ZL3IO) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB ZM4T(@ZL3IO) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 22:20:27 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZM4T
Operator(s): ZL2EM ZL2MY ZL2WG ZL3TE ZL4YL ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Kiwi-DX-Lodge
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:
   80:   15    11       14
   40:  977    30       90
   20:  665    30       95
   15: 1008    20       39
   10:  275    10        9
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was our first effort as M/2 with a fully automated station. The set-up was
new to everybody. As always there is some learning and we will apply a few
changes before the CW part. Important: the equipment worked fine without any
failure or damage. All operators but me were only part time available. The
contest goes here until Monday 1 pm and as working class hero's we'd have to
take a day off to fully participate. Wes - ZL3TE/W3SE flew down from Auckland
but had to leave on our Sunday afternoon due to QRL on Monday. The girls (ZL2EM
- 15 & ZL4YL - 16) had to be back to school on Monday morning and also Wayne
- ZL2WG who came Saturday evening had to leave Sunday evening because of QRL.

The conditions seemed to be very good on the Northern lines. They were not good
enough to let us join the party. We would have needed 3-5 more hops. For us the
last hours had the most productive rates when conditions between EU-AS-NA were
less good and we finally got some attention from NA plus a very selective 10m
opening.

On 80m SSB we had a radar like noise starting at 3.7 and getting to S9+ around
3.8 MHz. The CW end was nice and quiet but at the SSB end here we couldn't hear
much.

The receiving situation in EU must be getting worse. Sometimes I thought that
even Chinese stations hear better. It is very frustrating when stations are
S9+20 in ZL and continue their CQing while we try to answer them. It is obvious
to us that long path openings (in the EU mornings) are more productive than
short path (EU evening/night). On the other side the award for the best ears
goes to ZF9CW. The only Caribbean station that made it into the log on 10m! He
was whisper level on 10 & difficult on 80 but he did hear us. Getting the
attention of the Caribbean's and SA stations was almost impossible. We could
hear them running NA and missed out on many otherwise "easy' multipliers.
Guys, there is life to the West of you as well!

The activity from Oceania felt much higher which was a nice surprise. We had
181 QSO's within OC, 79 x VK, 49 x KH6, 18 Q's with ZL. That is a record!

Thank you for the QSO's and hope to see you all in the CW part! We promise to
have the 160m antenna back up again.

73 Holger, ZL3IO/ZM4T

Station:
2 x K3 + KPA500