[3830] SS CW W8WTS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jim@w8wts.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W8WTS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 03:26:33 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W8WTS
Operator(s): W8WTS
Station: W8WTS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Auburn Twp., OH
Operating Time (hrs): 20:16
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  154
   40:  527
   20:  142
   15:   33
   10:    0
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The best laid schemes o Mice an Men Gang aft agley, was the ARRL SS CW 2017
tagline for me.  With significant improvements to my home station in Auburn
Township, Geauga County, Ohio, I decided to make a serious effort from home in
SS class A.  I had all of the hardware checked out, the SO2R setup optimized
for SS, and N1MM Logger Plus open and ready to roll on Friday night.
I slept late and hard on Saturday until about 1 p.m. with the blinds closed.
By 3 p.m. I was cleaned, fed and tuning around to get a feel for the bands.
Conditions sounded reasonably good, but there was a serious threat of storms as
a low pressure cell above Minnesota was winding a cold front toward me.
As the contest started, rate was good but not excellent.  I felt that I was
holding my own with my peers.  The first five hour rates were 76, 67, 68, 68,
76.  Over the years, I have become a stickler for logging accuracy.  My net
rate likely suffers, but I make up for it in the UBN.  My off time started
after a QSO with N8BB at 8:43Z with 610 Qs.  I managed to not oversleep and
started with KS7T at 14:21Z on 40 m.  I managed my off time just right, so that
I could operate the entire 24 hours.  The first two hours after off time were 23
and 39 Qs.  Sunday mid day rates ebbed and flowed within the 30s, but there were
no absolutely horrible hours.  I anticipated a surge of fresh meat as the Sunday
evening crowd started to play.
About an hour before the Sunday evening rush, at 23:00Z the cold front slammed
through.  See
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/noaa/noaa_archive.php?month=11&day=05&year=2017&format=gif&lang=english&cycle=12&reset=no
for this horror show.  While there were no tornado touchdowns, microbursts did
extensive damage to Geauga County.  Read
http://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/index.ssf/2017/11/geauga_county_hit_especially_h.html
for the ugly details.  At 23:21Z I made my last Q of the contest with W8OV.
After that, the electricity went out leaving 856 Qs and 80 sections in the log
having operated only 20:16. It took until Monday evening for electrical power
to be restored.
I am sure that I could have topped 1000 Qs had storm not wiped me out.  I
missed only NNY, VI and PR, never ceasing to be amazed how many A and B class
stations find the elusive sections.
It was a great weekend of radio and I appreciate all of the QSOs.  Until next
year, Dare to be honest and fear no labor.