[3830] SS SSB K8TE Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, billamader@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K8TE Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:08:26 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8TE
Operator(s): K8TE KS5Z
Station: K8TE

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Buena Vista CO
Operating Time (hrs): 10:10

------------
  160:    0
   80:  107
   40:  109
   20:  131
   15:  151
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

Much different conditions and results than 2015 when we set a record!  We tried
Low Power again with very mixed results.  While we received many unsolicited
good reports, it was often tough going on 20m!  Tuning through that band early
Sunday afternoon, I found nothing but dupes and many of those we’re not
making high rates!  By then, we were over 200 QSO’s behind 2015!

Terry and I started a conversation that lasted two hours.  I was done although
Terry went back to make another 15 contacts with no new sections.  This is the
first year we’ve missed a Clean Sweep since 2013!

We used an IC-7600 here in CO again but I don’t believe that was the cause
for the large number of distorted signals I heard.  Many were well-known big
guns with mic gains turned way up resulting in very broad, nasty signals.  I
noticed one who turned his mic gain way up to work NL and back down for
CQ’ing.  I guess that proves providing an ethics introduction to Contest
University is still necessary.

Thanks to all who pulled us through the bedlam.  With declining propagation
conditions, we’ll reconsider running Low Power for the next few years.
We’ll be back, God willing, next year from somewhere.