[3830] CQWW CW K1WHS SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1WHS SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:01:19 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:  124    12       52
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I operated on 160 meters unassisted. Condx were so bad I quit on Friday evening.
I tried again on Saturday evening after celebrating a late Thanksgiving. On both
nights I found that most DX stations could not hear me even though they had good
signals here. I stuck around on Saturday night until sunrise in Europe. My  plan
of action was to tune the band looking for DX stations. I heard many, but spent
untold amounts of time calling them unsuccessfully. I should work more
Canadians. I think I may have worked only 5 or 6 total. A few CQs on Saturday
were not productive at all. Only near Sunrise in Europe did CQing pay off for
me. I worked 30 station in about 30 minutes. The good news was that my
receiving antennas were obviously working. The bad news was that my TX antenna
was not cutting the mustard. I have a single vertical. I guess I needed some
phased arrays instead. At 72 years old that ain't happ'nin. I should also
mention that the XYL will shoot me if I put up another tower. 160 Meters can be
a hoot or very frustrating. This time around, it was more frustrating. Rig was a
K3 with a KW amplifier. The antenna is an 80 ft shunt fed Rohn 25 and a bunch of
radials. The weekend was a humbling experience for me.