[3830] CQWW CW HA3LN SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, csaba@ha3ln.hu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW HA3LN SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:32:12 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: EEU
Operating Time (hrs): 34.5

  160:
   80:
   40: 1747    36      132
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1747    36      132  Total Score = 435,288

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

What a week(end)... but not in "that" sense... :-)

It started last week with the high band Yagis. Windstorm killed the rotator
mast back in April. The plan was to lift them back on Friday before the contest
allowing me to enter SOAB. This is what you would not like to see when you have
such an ambition: http://ha3ln.hu/sad.jpg
In general the weather was pretty dry considering it's almost December but for
the 16t crane a minimal moisture was too much to climb the anyways not that
steep hill. So the Yagis are grounded until spring...

FT1000MP > AL-811 500W > full size 1/4 elevated vertical with 2 elevated
radials

This was the first SOA40m effort in CQWWCW and was impressive to see that the
band is almost open for 48 hours. The stations literally was sitting in every
200Hz but had no issues with the QRM.

The contest fun overall was great. It started pretty well with a 123 Q/first
hour rate but the rain static made the first 6 hours really difficult. It was
"own goal" not preparing with RX antenna...
After the sunrise the EU stns made me busy. Good to hear so many DL and UR
stations calling endlessly. I had a 20 mins nap @11UT but woke up by myself and
felt relaxed even for the rest of the 36 hours.

It must have been a temp brain-storm but I started to S&P again with really
low rates. After the sun went down the noise built up again and made the
reception hard. Could not really find a good spot to call CQ but there was not
that many NA stations either. The 2nd night was a real die hard part.

But the real surprise came ~12 UT on Sun. Out of the sudden a massive 100km/h
wind started to abuse the vertical which was rather yet in prototype status
regarding its guying. After couple of 10mins I looked out the window and saw
this: http://ha3ln.hu/bend.jpg
No, this was not the operational shape. Tried to pull it back but the wind was
too strong could not recover. So the contest was over loosing 12+ hours of good
eastern opening and even with some more to NA as well. I'm sure I could have
reached ~2100 in total by the end.

I salute to the operators of mults/double mults. After a cluster spot a bunch
of callers fell to the frequency made their life pretty hard as there was no
real politeness from the caller side. Have to mentions that 5H3EE made a great
choice with going to split. There was no difficulties to copy him but I could
not eally go through despite even to the 500W. After a while I gave up the mult
hunting as I could be more productive to make 3 other DX contacts in 1/10 of
time trying to catch a double mult. This way I lost z36, 37 and 38 as well.
Yes, I heard
TT8AO on the band true for only a very short time.

I'm kinda happy with the final score at least I can bring that positive that
there is potential to utilize next time.

Short summary:
Wanted to fix all antennas but ended up killing the last usable one as well...

Thanks to All who called me.

See you in the next one.

73!
Csaba  HA3LN