[3830] CQWW CW N5FO SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, samsadventure@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5FO SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 12:02:35 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Tyrone, NM
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:   13     9       11
   80:   73    18       49
   40:  627    33      105
   20:  733    35      125
   15:  442    30       95
   10:   13     6        8
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first attempt at a DX contest using "Assisted". It was
interesting for sure, but not the "magic wand" I thought it might be.
Although very helpful, especially to recognize any sort of opening, there were
many "bogus" spots, and quite a few "busted calls".

I went into this one with the goal of beating my previous best "BIC"
of 42 hours, but by 0200 (14hrs w/only 1/2hr sleep)lots of aches & pains,
and dwindling rates, I gave up and slept for almost 10hrs straight!

I had only a few equipment issues this time, but it was very alarming to lose
the Wi-Fi at the contest start. The antennas played well, with the exception of
160M transmit, my weakest band. I could have used a little help on 80, at 0240
the first night, the EU's were cq'ing in my face! I realized this contest that
the narrow directionality of the OptiBeam can be both an advantage &
disadvantage, noticing how well the X9 did at snagging signals off the sides,
and sometimes the back, in addition to having some forward gain. However, after
trying for some 5 minutes Sunday to bust the 20M pileup for OA4SS with the X9,
one call at 18:11 with the OB was immediately answered through the chaos.

Overall conditions here were less than hoped for, and I found the contest
"rather boring".  I can honestly say I never had a single big pileup,
that lasted for more than a minute or two, and the JA runs that we depend on
here were steady but certainly nothing to brag about. Many times it was so
slow, I went back to tuning for q's and mults on the 2nd radio, just to fight
the boredom.

With all that said, thanks to all for the zones & countries!
C U in the next one,
Sam