[3830] ARRL 160 K8MR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K8MR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:49:23 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 5

Total:  QSOs = 145  Sections = 40  Countries = 6  Total Score = 14,168

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I operated as K8MR on Friday night and for an hour early on Saturday evening,
then went QRT to operate as W3USA.

65 foot vertical wire hidden in the trees, with a minimal ground system, at the
Florida condo in Sarasota. Fun to note the difference from back in Ohio
(propagation and location, not the crummy station). Loudest signals were ZF9CW
and C6AGU. Being a thousand miles from most activity resulted in many copyable
stations not being able to hear me, especially if those guys spent their time
listening on an east-west RX antenna. Having a marginal signal, one notes the
short time QSB, and often had to pick a QSB peak to complete a QSO. I'm
definitely distance challenged: only one QSO in W6/7, and only three mults each
in W0 and W1.

In one noteworthy achievement, I did manage a 10 QSO run, without any noted
cluster spots. (RBN may have helped some folks find me).

73  -  Jim   K8MR