[3830] ARRL 160 WA7LNW SO Unlimited QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa7lnw@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WA7LNW SO Unlimited QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 02:27:26 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WA7LNW
Operator(s): WA7LNW
Station: WA7LNW

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: Utah
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 432  Sections = 77  Countries = 5  Total Score = 67,683

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This is one of my favorite winter contests.  Returned from two weeks of travel
and excuse myself from a Friday night party invitation in order to make it
happen.

Operated QRP this year in honor of a good friend and nearby neighbor Jim
Rodenkirch, K9JWV (SK). Jim was our one and only QRP enthusiast in southern
Utah and could often be heard calling CQ on 1.810 nights and early mornings.
Knowing Jim and his love for our hobby, I am sure he was listening in on the
action this weekend.

Several section multipliers appeared absent this year.  My CW Skimmer is
located at the remote site and was essential in spotting new multipliers and
determining when their signals were peaking.

Fellow Arizona Outlaws Contest Club member, Gary, N7IR (AZ), normally operates
QRP during this event, so I closely monitored our comparative RBN signal
reports and areas of coverage. At various times during the night, our
geographic separation and choice of antennas became apparent.

Arizona section was well represented by AOCC members. In fact Utah seemed well
represented too. My thanks go out to C6, XE, PJ2, ZF9 operators for pulling my
QRP signal out of the noise.  There were plenty of strong JA signals around
0800 UTC and again at my local sunrise, but none heard me well enough to
complete a full contact.

Fun as always. See everyone again next year!

73's de Jack, WA7LNW