[3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 23:36:54 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 708  Total Score = 4,773

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had fun playing in the Stew. I am coming off a bad year healthwise, so it is
great to feel OK enough to actually play radio again. I used my shunt fed Rohn
25 vertical along with a bunch of beverage wires running through the woods. The
beverages caught it this Fall, with the semi hurricane that blew trough here.
Many trees fell and all the wires needed many repairs to get them back in shape.
I still have one system with a huge white pine laying across it that needs some
chain sawing action. My plan for the Stew was to call CQ much more than times
past, and hope that my CW ability might rise to the occasion. I started at 2200
UT and ran until about 08:30 UT, sunrise in Britain. 90% of my time was spent
"running" in hopes that stations would find me. The wx here was brutal
with below zero temperatures even at mid day, so the power line noise was very
high and made receiving difficult at times, but condx to EU seemed very good and
I managed to work 260 Europeans along with 11 DX stations in the Caribbean,
South America, and two KH6 stations. I heard nothing else from the Pacific. I
was bundled up in the shack trying to stay warm. Every few hours I went in the
house and threw more oak logs in the woodstove