[3830] TBDC ON9CC Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC ON9CC Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 20:48:17 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: ON9CC
Operator(s): ON9CC
Station: ON9CC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: JO20ws
Operating Time (hrs): 05:17

Total:  QSOs = 145  Total Score = 1,701

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

After I was so pissed with myself starting the contest with my contest call OT6M
but with the DX cluster on hence not playing by the rules and waisting a lot of
hours, I had some coffee's .... took a deep breath ... and started the contest
all over again but now according to the TBDC rules and with my 'regular' call
ON9CC and WITHOUT DX-cluster.
The week before the contest I erected for the first time a decent antenna: 26m
spiderpole with ~40m of wire as inverted L and I defenitely wanted to try it out
as test before the CQ160. As I didn't have any of the beverages for RX, I
decided to participate in the QRP class as I guessed only then the RX and TX
capabilities would be in balance (if I would run HP, I would only be more
frustrated because I would be a crocodile ... lots a power and no ears).

After working some hours of Europe and near-east in the evening, I decided to
catch some sleep and get up early. I didn't expect to work North-America with
only 5 Watts and trying to work NR4M and W2GD after I got up at 04:00 local,
only confirmed that feeling. 2 stations who normally are loud and easy to work
were weak and didn't hear me. But then at 03:46 NP2J was loud and after calling
him a couple of times, he came back to my call!! I almost fell out of my chair
as even with QRP power on 160m it is possible to get over the pond! In the next
couple of hours I was able to work some more of the stronger North Americans and
ODX was NR5M in TX with 8255 km! Although the rate was low and I needed
sometimes many times of calling, I was able to work 20 North American stations.
I can't be more happy with that result and that inverted L definitely works!

By the way: I didn't hear any of the JA's or something else from the far east...
guess that was the price for not having the beverages.

Antenna used is a 26m Spiderpole that I was able to put up together with my son
in the week before the contest ... in heavy wind! It was the first time that we
put that antenna up and it was quite a challenge to erect it in such strong
winds (and sometimes heavy rain...). But it payed of :)

Thanks to everyone taking the time to dig out the 5 Watt ON9CC signal from the
noise!

See you in the CQ160!
73
Frank