[3830] NAQP CW NX5M M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NX5M M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 06:57:34 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M N5XJ KU5B NW7DX
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   91    44
   80:  350    54
   40:  477    61
   20:  635    58
   15:  125    35
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1677   253  Total Score = 424,281

Club:

Team:

Comments:

KU5B had the idea of doing this contest after the disappointing lack of qso rate
in the ARRL 10m Contest.  My response was, "I don't have receive antennas
finished.  I don't have the 15m and 40m towers up yet either so we would have to
use the hex beam  on 15m and it is only up 30 feet.  It'll have to be done with
wires on the low bands and a couple of tribanders for 20m.  So IF I can get
receive antennas finished....IF I have time I will finish one of the 4 element
15m yagis and hang it off the side of what will be the 15m tower but it will
only be about 25 feet in the air since that is all the tower I have up so
far."
So I set out in sub-freezing temperatures for 3 days to build new beverages, run
feedlines for them, finish the existing ones and get it all wired up to the
relay boxes.  Got that done and it all worked just fine. Built a 4 element 15
and got it up like I said I MIGHT.  Did a make-shift setup of a switching system
and we were ready to roll.
It has been a couple of years since I personally participated in a NAQP so
despite all the ruckus to get a few things in order, I was looking forward to
operating and I think the rest of the ops were also a little excited to get back
into the game.
Cannot complain about the results.  Actually, better than expected with the
antennas that were available.  But the main this is this:  It was fun again.
Always enjoy hanging with these guys.  Gives me a little more initiative and
drive to get the next two towers completed and the antennas up.  Still a lot of
work to do but eventually it will all get done.
10m- 5/5/4 which were good for one miserable qso.
15m- Hex beam at 30 feet, 4 element yagi at 25 feet
20m- A3 tribander at 77 feet, A3 tribander at 65 feet
40m- Inverted vee with apex at 35 feet
80m- Inverted vee with apex at 64 feet
160m- Inverted vee with apex at 60 feet
80RX- 585ft. beverage NE, 580ft beverage NW, 580ft beverage SE
160RX- 900ft beverage NW, 850ft beverage NE, 650ft beverage SE
Had a hard time operating 80 and 160 at the same time especially when trying to
listed on the NE 160 beverage.  Part of the 80m vee is above the beverage so
when we were transmitting on 80, 160 suffered.  Ended up limiting 160m
operation.
In the end, it was nice to be back, although limited.  Fun is fun and when fun
is greater than frustration.......it's all good!