[3830] NAQP CW NG7Z Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbearzed@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW NG7Z Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 13:48:16 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NG7Z
Operator(s): NG7Z
Station: NG7Z

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Marana AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

  160:
   80:  102    34
   40:  122    36
   20:  204    47
   15:    7     5
   10:
-------------------
Total:  435   122  Total Score = 53,070

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team: Arizona Outlaws - Prickly Pears

Comments:

Icom 7300 and a radial challenged vertical. Based on previous totals for the
NAQP CW I was hoping for a 250-300 Q contest. Since moving to this AZ QTH I've
been using S&P mostly thinking that there was no way to hold a CQ frequency
with this very limited pop gun station. Besides, with the declining solar
conditions it's hard to determine if an empty spot is really empty. Even sending
a couple of QRL's  may or may not be sufficient to determine if the frequency is
being used. The way I do it is to just sit on an empty spot and listen for a
while to see if anyone shows up with a call. That way I know if there is someone
running on the frequency. So I decided to use this method and see how well I
could do running. It seemed to work as I had several productive hours running
stations. Now this might work for domestic contests but I doubt it would work
for DX contests. That's an entirely different ball game. Anyway, the big
surprise was running on 80M which produced a good total on the band where I'm
most challenged. I've never had more that 30 or 40 Q's on this band in a
contest. I didn't make 10 hours because my back was hurting at the start. After
an hour I had to stop and ice my spine and rest for an hour and a half. This
happened because I spend two hours Saturday morning harvesting my neighbor's
citrus trees. Too much bending and twisting stressed the spine where it's fused
at L2-S1. Anyway, I was happy with the totals and hope it helps my AOCC Prickly
Pears teammates. 73 Paul NG7Z