[3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA7JTM Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, PSCOLAWA7JTM@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA7JTM Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:23:11 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  124    17  Total Score = 2,924

Club:

Comments:

Thirteen different SOTA peaks were activated Sunday morning by SOTA operators in
support of the January Contest and SOTA. I estimate combined we made around 600
contacts on VHF/UHF frequencies. The bands were alive with signals from all
thirteen of the SOTA peaks, the locals, and the Rovers, and it was pretty hectic
for the five hours I operated.

I operated QRP Portable from Scarlet Mountain, Summits On The Air(SOTA)Ref #
W7A/MN-143.

I hiked up to the summit before dawn on Sunday morning and set up small beams on
all four bands on a short mast. The main radio was an FT817 barefoot (5 Watts)
and a pair of HT's for locals.

No band opening on Six meters this year, and my best DX was working Tucson and
Prescott. I never heard any stations out of state.

Activity for this contest was the best ever for a January VHf Contest that I
have experience. Other operators said think it was the BEST EVER for Arizona due
to the SOTA activity and the multiple Rover stations that participated.

So now all of the SOTA operators can't wait for next year. Seems they all had
way to much fun on Sunday. The future plan is to top the Thirteen Summits we put
on this year in the January 2019 contest. Twenty summits sounds like a resonable
number to me!

Thanks to all the ROVERS, SOTA ops, and home stations for making this a really
great January VHF contest...who woulda thunk it!!!!

73
Pete
WA7JTM/QRP SOTA Portable