[3830] CQ160 CW WT2P Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wt2p@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WT2P Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:52:50 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WT2P
Operator(s): WT2P
Station: WT2P

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 552  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 9  Total Score = 79,317

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Came close to doubling last year's bottom line score (vs 40068 last yr), with 4
more State/Prov mults and 6 more countries than last year. Managed to crack into
Europe Friday night to get some new band countries.

Friday off to a great start with 2 back to back 50 hours, then the rest was just
BIC time to keep things going from there. Europe started out very faint here but
as their sunrise occurred their signals popped up and I was able to work them.
Also had a few new Caribbean band countries as well. Crashed around 0800Z with
the intention of waking up to try to get HI and a couple west coast stations.
That didn't happen. I ended the first night at 352 contacts which in 2017 took
me the whole weekend to get.

Saturday out of boredom I called CQ during the day because I saw a couple
signals appear on the bandscope and because a WRTC competitor told me that I
would make the perfect 160M daytime operator at a M/M (as a joke) and actually
had 6 people respond to my CQ. Skimmers indicated I was fairly strong to the
near East (IL/IN/MI). I took it easy Saturday night, with the anticipation of
staying up to get Hawaii (My last state for 160M WAS) but it was not to be.
Crashed around 0600Z with 522 in the log. Kept hitting snooze for an alarm set
for 0800Z. Back on the air to close it out at 1100Z.

It was a 50/50 split of run and S&P. Mostly a lot of running on Friday when
I could find a freq. Occasionally there were people that I quite simply could
not hear who apparently were on the same frequency. That happened a lot.

Worked 54 SMC members, thanks to all who got on! There was a lot of SMC
activity

Station worked flawlessly, no antenna issues, no amplifier issues (I ran between
5-700W depending on the subband) with the new to me SPE 1K-FA. I did see a
couple warnings when I ventured high into the band above 1850, but simple
recalibration of the Expert's internal ATU in low power mode seemed to resolve
it. There were times I wish I had RX antennas. Not sure how BOGs will work
criscrossing radials (my backyard is a web of wire). I'll have to look into
that.

73,
WT2P