[3830] CQ160 CW K4XL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K4XL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 00:01:14 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Amherst, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

Total:  QSOs = 928  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 43  Total Score = 266,135

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I got a late start and had trouble finding a spot for running, so I did S&P
for much of what turned out to be the best evening of the test.  Still, I
managed a pretty good rate and picked off quite a few Europeans plus a few from
the Carribbean. This time I decided to go unassisted since I planned to do
nothing but run.  I know I missed some easy mults, but that was the plan.  I had
worked 47 of the lower 48 plus Hawaii and most of the Canadians at the end of
the first evening.  At the end of the test I still needed Idaho!  I heard one,
so I know they were on, but they missed the thrill of working me!  I crashed
around 2AM on Saturday morning and then back up around 6 for a few of the
morning crowd.
Saturday afternoon found me sitting on a good frequency which I managed to hold
for most of the evening.  Despite the band not being in very good condition, I
managed some good runs before the well began to run dry.  Once again, I crashed
around 2AM and was back up at 6.

In 2015 I managed 543 Qs.  I missed several of the great contests in 2016,
including this one.  In 2017  I wanted to do better and I managed 702 Qs.  This
year I decided to go unassisted and run as much as I could. This was a personal
best for me with over 900 Qs.  I guess that means I need to do my time
management a little better with my BIC when it counts in order to make it to my
new goal of 1000 Qs.

No one actually tried to take over the frequency, but I had a couple of
deliberate QRMers who threw a carrier on top of some difficult European
contacts.  This wasn't for a prolonged period, so maybe it was just some lid
tuning up.  Speaking of "lids."  Right in the middle of a fairly long
run, someone chimed in "lid!"  It stopped me in my tracks....for a
split second while I questioned the behavior of N1MM+ and decided that it wasn't
at fault.  Not overdriving.  I hate to be called a lid...especially when I don't
know what ticked the other guy off!  My "?" didn't get a response, so
I'm still in the dark why someone thinks I'm a lid.  Maybe I was on his choice
frequency?  The other behavior that I noticed this time was some folks who would
call and give a signal report but not their state.  Repeated requests for
"state" went unanswered.  What was that all about?  I counted 6
different stations who did that.

Despite being called a lid, I thoroughly enjoyed this contest.  I always do. It
was fun!  Thanks for the Qs.

Rig:  Icom IC-7800 to an ancient Alpha 78.
Ant:  Folded unipole for tx and beverages in 6 directions for rx.