[3830] CQ160 CW K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 00:23:10 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 1275  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 62  Total Score = 498,004

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I tried to make an improvement to my receiving system by removing a
silver maple tree that grew up about 5 feet east of one of the short
verticals that contributes to the 2x4 broadside/end-fire phased array.
This particular vertical has always shown a much higher real
resistance component of the feed impedance than the other verticals.
Then this month's QST shows how a live tree can affect an antenna.  So
away with that tree!  I think the result is a somewhat better front to
back ratio.

Jeff, K8ND, loaned me his DX Engineering NCCC-2.  This device should
be able to use the pair of short verticals that I arranged to null my
transmit signal better than the coax and resonant circuit lash-up I
have been using.  The NCCC-2 nicely nulls my transmit signal at low
power.  However, at high power the NCCC-2 overloads on my transmit
signal which defeats its utility.  So, I continue the coax and
resonant circuit nulling device.

I am still recovering from the flu and I decided that foremost the
contest should be more fun and less drudgery.  So I opted to
experiment with my operating strategy.

Since I inadvertently operated the first night of the ARRL 160 contest
with the phased array pointed west without much deleterious effect, I
thought I might try a different tactic.  I would receive on the east
and west Beverages, which are the shortest Beverages here.  This
scheme has 2 advantages: these Beverages have a broad pattern so maybe
I can hear most callers without hunting through all the receive
antennas; and the Beverages do not impose a 20 millisecond latency on
received signals as does the phased array / SDR combination.  The
disadvantage is that a really weak signal might go unnoticed.

The other abnormal tactic was to stop CQing and go tuning more often.
Usually on the first night I can operate for 6 hours straight on the
same frequency and maintain a decent rate and work some DX.  But I
often miss some easy Caribbean or South American multiplier.  Also,
some European DX that could not hear me excused me from my run
frequency when he got US callers after I stood by for a few seconds.

So both nights I alternated CQing and searching.  Also I did less SO2R
type operating since I was avoiding drudgery.  Another concession to
less drudgery was sleeping for more than 3 hours the first night after
UK sunrise.  The second night I pulled up the recliner in front of the
radio and dozed off between QSOs - there are several 10-15 minute gaps
in my log.  I wonder how many callers I never heard?

Both morning I managed to work Japan.  A couple JAs called before
sunrise the first morning and JH2FXK called about 25 minutes after
sunrise.  One more JA called the second morning before sunrise.

I heard ZC4A several times but he did not seem to be able to hear
outside Europe.  I never heard Z60A.  IQ9UI called me 3 times over the
weekend.  A surprise multiplier was VO2NS who gave me "NL" as his
province.  Isn't "NL" the ARRL section abbreviation for Newfoundland
and Labrador?  I logged "LB".  Another surprise multiplier was TF1AL
very late the second night after no more multipliers were expected.
Never heard Alaska and worked only 1 Hawaii.  Apparently I missed
5W1AS.  No Africans and Zone 33 islands don't count so I can't claim
Worked All Continents.

The end result of my difference operating strategy seemed to be more
multipliers and fewer contacts.  Even though conditions were pretty
good Friday, it doesn't feel like participation was markedly
increased, so I am going to attribute the result to my tactics.

DX worked: 4X, 5B, 6Y, 9A (3), C6 (2), CM, CT, CT3, CU, DL (28), E7,
EA (4), EA6, EA8, EI (3), ES, EU (2), F (3), FM, G (14), GD, GM, GU,
GW, HA (5), HB (2), HI, I (3), IT9, J6, JA (4), KH6, KP2 (3), LA, LX,
LY, LZ (3), OH (2), OH0, OK (11), OM (6), ON (4), OZ, P4, PA (6), PJ2,
PZ, S5 (6), SM (3), SP (9), SV, TF, UA (3), UA2 (2), UR (3), V3, VP9,
XE (2), YL, YO, YV, and ZF (2) for a total of 62 entities.  There were
157 10 point contacts and 17 non-VE 5 point contacts.

Equipment: K3/100, P3, K3/10, Alpha 8410, 2x3 BS-EF phased array, 2x4
BS-EF phased array, 65 foot "Tee" over about 75 radials.

Running yearly comparison:

    Year  QSOs  States  DX  Hour  Raw score  Ops
    2018  1275    60    62   30    498,004    1
    2017  1308    59    52   29    460,095    1
    2016  1210    58    54   28    456,848    1
    2015  1274    59    42   30    374,609    1
    2014  1199    58    48   30    367,820    1
    2013  1329    58    58   32    536,140    2
    2012  1297    59    47   30    396,016    1
    2011  1471    59    67   30    670,320    1
    2010  1559    58    75   39    776,587    2
    2009  1416    59    71   30    757,510    1
    2008  1350    58    64   38    553,758    2
    2007  1063    58    68   32    422,100    1
    2006   764    58    47   26    260,505    1