[3830] CQ160 CW WA5FWC Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WA5FWC Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:18:57 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WA5FWC
Operator(s): WA5FWC
Station: WA5FWC

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: ntx
Operating Time (hrs): 5:39

Total:  QSOs = 81  State/Prov = 75  Countries = 6  Total Score = 7,392

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This was a great experience for me as I have not contested with CW in many
years! My first problem was an antenna issue and most  of the time was spent
getting it to work?  finally a coax jumper fixed the issue after a lot of
frustation. My antenna checked out 1/1 at the tower but the feedline to the
shack is buryied several ft and the line was compromised. It would work
intermittently. After determining the problem I decided to call it a night on
Friday PM. Saturday  it seemed to be ok after changing one of the PL connectors.
Saturday evening it started off fine and then it quit again hum what luck. I
then ran to the shop and got 135' of new feedline RG 214. This solved the
problem and we were on the air by 0119Z. I was very tired after all of this and
just enjoyed making leisure contacts as the bamd was like an intercom and a lot
of great ops to exchange Qs with. This was not a serious effort but felt good to
solve the problem temporairly. Now to make a permanent solution. I really
enjoyed the relaxed simple contest and will be better prepared in the future,
Gary wa5fwc