[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 02:14:11 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 745  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 23  Total Score = 142,800

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

>From here conditions were poor to EU unlike many others experiences. I operated
160 a lot in the week leading up to the contest and worked booming or nearly so
HA's and numerous northern EU and a few Russians, as well as TZ4AM and E31A.
Friday, the EU were too busy the first 3 hours to worry much about digging out a
weak USA station like me and by 0240Z I was feeling pretty tired, so QRT'ed
missing the better EU conditions later. Saturday night EU was about as weak as
it ever gets in the winter. The western USA was pretty weak except for a few big
guns until QRT Friday, but I did work from about 25 minutes before sunrise until
13Z and ran some very loud west coast/Rocky Mtn. area stations as well as
pulling KH7M easily out of the other callers. The next night was poor west of
the MS river until around 04Z when I did pick up quite a few far western USA.
I did do pretty well with the domestic mults and did do some searching for mults
especially the 2nd night. There was decent Caribbean activity; it was nice to
see
two NP2's active as well as FM and Cuba. I was called by ZF, J6, PJ4, and P4.
The overall rate was pretty good, 83 Q's per hour, but started at 23Z and rate
was slower than most years as other locals also reported. Activity from SC (18
Q's) and MS (8) was at an all time high. Most active states were NY and PA with
45 Q's each followed by OH with 41. I would have missed NE and ND except for
being called by one each of them. I heard KA7T in ID too late after sunrise to
work and never did hear MB. Other than those and the usual nil's from YT and NU,
I worked all of the lower 48 states/provinces. Signals out to 500 miles were
really loud both nights.

The competition has gotten too keen with two local 400K low power efforts and
many more big scores farther northeast, no way I could ever come close to those
scores it seems. I hope I gave a few a needed WV mult. It is hard to imagine how
high scores would have been if the conditions from a week before through 2 days
prior to the test had occurred during the test.

73, Jeff