[3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7bec@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] BC QSO VA7ODX Multi-OpMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 08:41:22 +0000
                    British Columbia QSO Party

Call: VA7ODX
Operator(s): VA7BEC VA7KO
Station: VA7ODX

Class: Multi-OpMixed HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:    9      6               9         6
   40:   29     54      6       20        26          7
   20:  133    572     50       56        61         25
   15:    5     30      1        5                   18
   10:
Total:  176    662     57       90        93         50  Total Score = 525,648

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

A common complaint among CW operators is that BCQP essentially ends when NA
Sprint CW starts. The solution, they say, is to change the date of BCQP. But
changing the date to accommodate one mode in the last four hours of the event
seems an overboard response so for 2018, we introduced a second block of
operating time -- eight hours on Sunday, following the usual 12 hours on
Saturday. It appears this was well received.
That said, conditions were dreadful. QRN on low bands. QSB on high bands. And
whether this caused potential participants to give up or whether they simply
weren't heard, who can say until I start analyzing the results. I will say,
though, that there were a number of VE7/VA7s that were not heard in the Lower
Mainland -- that is, in and around the Metro Vancouver area -- but were heard in
other parts of BC and, of course, the U.S. Location, location, location.
>From the sponsor station, QSOs beyond North America were few and far between.
More on CW and RTTY than on PH, but definitely not as many as in past years.
I wasn't sure how Sunday operation would go but from the sponsor station PH
chair, at least, the pileups were fabulously wonderful. Qs with stations all
across Canada and the U.S., with a the occasional DX. Lots of fun.
So even when CONDX is horrible and it seems like the bands are closed, there are
Qs to be made.
We extend our sincerest thanks to everyone who participated in BCQP 2018 and to
everyone who helped others participate.
See you next year, Feb 2-3, 2019.
73,
Rebecca VA7BEC, BCQP Contest Coordinator, PH op.
Koji VA7KO, CW/RTTY op.