[3830] RTTY WPX CR5V(M5RIC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, r.bro84@googlemail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX CR5V(M5RIC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:27:38 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest

Call: CR5V
Operator(s): M5RIC
Station: CR5V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  385
   40: 1362
   20:  807
   15:  165
   10:    0
------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

What great fun! Running 2BSIQ keeps your mind focused and can you see why it's
such a game changer in contests. If you want to be competitive and win, this is
the only way - see videos of N6MJ(ZF1A) or CT1BOH(CR3OO).

The time you would normally be waiting for someone to reply you are making
another QSO/CQing on another band. It certainly keeps you mentally active and
brain engaged!

My thanks once again to Fil CT1ILT and Jose CT1CJJ for letting me use their
great station. Understanding propagation made the second trip more successful
and hopefully future trips even better too.

The hardest thing I found about the contest was trying to plan when to take the
off time. You need to be either on 40M or 80M and if you can, be working outside
of EU. At best if you can be running NA or Asia you have the best chance of a
higher score. I changed my plan slightly and stayed on the low bands for longer
and swapped off time but I think it worked for the better. Luckily each time I
went to take time off I didn't have to leave a good rate but it was still hard
to walk away.

Shame that CQ can't add time categories rather than force every single op to be
30 hours, CQWW has the classic section so why not for WPX too? 30 hours seems to
be over fair too quickly and meant missing out of the fun of different
openings.

On Thursday I found a noise source which after some driving around turned out to
be a street lamp that was on but the bulb was on its last legs and needed to be
replaced. With some discussions and several phone calls later we were told the
electric company would be out the next day to replace it. Waiting until it got
dark on Friday and checking for the noise source it had gone - this saved the
day and can only thank everyone involved as otherwise it could have been a
different situation for the weekend.

This was the only issue and DXlog with MMTTY/2Tone performed great once again,
as did all of the equipment and antenna switching.

Thanks to OK6W and SN7Q for the fun with the online scoreboard over the weekend!
For those who question why use it, try it and see how much more it pushes you!
No doubt P49X will be posing a huge score soon enough too so congrats.

Until the next time!

73

Rich CR5V / M5RIC

Equipment: