[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:22:32 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  224    66
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  224    66  Total Score = 44,352

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Weak signals, extreme QSB, little QRM, clean TX signals (mostly), auroral
absorption...what better way to spend a weekend?  After all, this is Topband!

Friday night was slow but I was hoping for a better Saturday.  Not to be.
Saturday sunrise showed 153 QSOs and Sunday sunrise showed 215.  I finished with
224 which was in the ballpark with top multi-multis.  To relieve boredom while
CQing with no responses, I started watching myself on ReverseBeacon.net.  It was
amazing to see the variation in signal strengths being reported in
Europe...sometimes nearly 30 dB in 30 minutes.  This is why you CQ and don't
give up!

Not much excitement with multipliers but I was amazed to work LZ9W running
QRP...but I know he has a monster antenna for 160.  As I stayed up for UK
sunrise, I was hoping for a ZL to call off the back of my antenna.  That didn't
turn out but I got a nice note from ZL/NO9E who was only SWL on 160.  Ignacy
told me I was the only NA heard at his sunset Sunday morning (0720z)...oh well.
At sunrise Saturday, I worked 3 JA topguns with great difficulty.  I heard both
RM0F and RT0C but they couldn't hear me.  Sunday sunrise was better with a few
more JAs and both of those Russians after my sunrise.

Conditions were disappointing considering some very good conditions we've had
recently.  One evening last week I was amazed at EU signal strengths but not
many guys were on.  And 2 VU2s were audible one evening!  We just were unlucky
that this contest fell during the middle of a solar disturbance... but better
days are coming!  Keep the faith.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Elecraft K3 in diversity with Beverages and a Hi-Z RX4SQ.
TX:  1500W to a 3el parasitic vertical or inv-V at 100' (high angles).